Sunday 19 August 2012

Hampstead Heath Pergola

The weather was glorious in South East England yesterday (it still is today as well!), so boyfriend and I decided once again that a picnic was the best way to spend the day. As you can see there were only a few wispy white clouds in an otherwise perfect blue sky.


This time we headed up to Hampstead Heath to find a picnic spot, rather than going to one of the parks as we did last weekend. After lunch, instead of climbing up Parliament Hill to check out the view like we normally do when we go to the Heath, we thought we'd go over to the West Heath for a change.

There is a beautiful Pergola and garden there, if you're ever in the area, it is well worth a visit!

There were lots of climbing plants winding around the stone columns and up on to the wooden framework above the columns (I'm sure there's a proper word for that, I just don't know what it is!).




In a way the plant life growing here looked quite sparse and arid. With the pure blue sky and the heat (must have been more than 30 degree centigrade in London yesterday) I felt as if I had stumbled into another country, maybe Greece or Italy. The atmosphere and weather made it feel positively mediterranean, which was nice!

But then, every so often you would find a cluster of red or white roses or other flowers growing, enjoying the sunshine.




I think I was lucky to be there on the right day, when weather and location combined so perfectly. I definately recommend a visit though, if you get the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments, so if you have a question to ask or just something to say, please leave me a message and I'll reply!