Thursday 26 June 2014

Random moments

I was in two minds about what to call this post - it was either going to be "a bit of a whinge" or "random moments" depending on how I ended up seeing the thing that it's about!


I don't know if I have ever mentioned it before, but I commute to and from work every day by train. I live in Hertfordshire and I work in central London, so I have a 90 minute journey to and from work - a total of 3 hours commuting a day.

Anyone else who does a similar journey will know, there is something totally de-humanising about train travel during rush hour. The tube is the worst -your crammed into a little metal tube like sardines, often with your face smooshed up against the back of a stranger! It's very weird. The only way I can cope with it is to basically pretend it's not happening, and withdraw into myself and day dream. A book, music on my mp3 player and looking at Pinterest on my phone all help me with this!

So, in a way, it was actually quite nice when, yesterday morning, I had a little moment that reminded me that my fellow passengers are real people too! It didn't start off nicely though. Before I go any further I must explain - one of the coping strategies that commuters employ is having their 'patch' on the platform. You always stand in the same place because you know exactly where the train carriage doors will be when the train pulls up, and you know which carriage has your best chance of getting a seat. Honestly, it's not just me that does this - everyone does! I'm always stood next to the same people on the platform each morning.

So, one of these people is rather rude. I really hate rudeness in people - it's one of my pet hates. This guy, always arrives about 2 minutes before the train pulls in, and just walks to the front of the platform to stand in front of all the people that have been there for 5 minutes already waiting patiently. He does this and then makes sure that he gets on the train first. It really bugs me, but being wary of the possibility of an outbreak of commuter-rage, I never say anything to him. Yesterday morning, he did exactly the same as he always did and pushed on in front of my self and another lady who were waiting. I must have slightly shaken my head at him in frustration because the other lady turned to me and said "he never learns does he!".

I know it sounds weird by that tiny bit of human contact and a little bit of commiseration in the face of rudeness made the journey to work much nicer! It was a reminder that even if some people are just rude most of the other passengers are human after all!

Happy Thursday everyone - the weekend is almost here - hurrah!


Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. I will start commuting as well in August. Though it will be about two hours in total for me. Maybe I have to share a similar story in the near future! ;)
    Greetings from Austria, Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, I hope you don't end up having similar experiences to share! I hope your commute is trouble free.

      Jen x

      Delete
  2. Crumbs 3 hours commuting each day. You're so brave. I would go stark, stirring crazy. If you see the same people day in and day out do you not talk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that's one of the things that's so weird about it - you see the same people day in, day out, but you never do speak to each other, unless forced to (i.e. someone apologises to you for stepping on your foot or similar - though you'd be lucky event to get that with some people!). It's like everyone is sealed inside their own little bubble - very strange when you think about it, but I've gotten so used to it, it seems normal to me!

      Jenx

      Delete
  3. That is such a lot of travel to do each day Jen, and then to have to put up with annoyances like that inconsiderate and rude person on top of it is really testing too far! At least now the ice has been broken with another traveller and understanding shared. I hope the situation improves - a lot, and soon! xoJoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sadly I fear no great improvement in sight! Still, I guess if I were driving instead of getting a train I would probably be stuck in a traffic jam somewhere and it wouldn't be much better!

      Jen x

      Delete
  4. I used to live in London, so reading your post brought back not so nice memories of similar rush hour experiences to and from work... It also brought back some nice moments of human humour in the midst of it, such as the tube driver who made hilarious comments at every stop and made everyone in the carriage smile..:) I admire you for putting up with it every day though-it can drive you insane! These days I live in a small town in Sweden and I feel almost allergic to huge crowds of people in small spaces...
    Greetings from Sweden,
    www.varanlillavra.blogspot.se

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, Yup, I've been on trains with humorous drivers before too - it does ligthen the mood! This evening on the way home the man next to me had the funniest message alert on his phone - it just started screaming "message, message, message, MESSAGE!" getting louder and louder - it had everyone in the carriage laughing!

      Jen xx

      Delete

I love to read all your comments, so if you have a question to ask or just something to say, please leave me a message and I'll reply!